At the end of last year, I experimented with Bullet Journal, and jumped in more fully this year. It has been a resounding success. (This may see a follow-up post in future.)
Been reading lots of female authors lately. Marilynne Robinson – Lila, and then re-read Gilead. Finished an exciting romp through N.K. Jemisin’s Inheritance trilogy (beginning with The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms). Now working through Isobelle Carmody’s Obernewtyn Chronicles, though I’ll have to interrupt it to race through The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon, which is in such demand from the library that I won’t get to renew my borrowed copy, and who knows when I’ll get to re-borrow it?
Let’s see if I can’t fill the rest of the year with female authors.
I’ve been playing a lot of Bioware’s Anthem, amongst other games. Anthem is my first multiplayer game, and naturally, I’ve been sucked into the community, and found some friendly servers on Discord to game and chat with. Which has been a kind of blessing: amongst other things, it revived my writing spirit (which flagged for a while) and got me writing fan fiction.
It has occurred to me that I’m still on social media — except I engage in “topical”, focused, and (semi-)private spaces. I quit Facebook years ago, barely check Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram (the latter two remain on death row limbo), and am apathetic about Micro.blog. A re-subscription offer prompted me to log in to Micro.blog for a look-see; I think the last time I dropped by was in February. It’s thriving, and nice to watch. But it’s already become too noisy and amorphous for my tastes, just as Twitter et al have become.
But Discord? Discord is my jam. The first servers I joined were writing groups; the gaming groups came much later.
Discord communities tend to revolve around a primary topic, with detours into generalized chat, and are always private groups (sometimes large, but still gated). It suits the way I organize my online life: focused on specific ideas.## I think I will stop trying to fit myself into a generalized social-media shape. It has never worked for me anyway.
##This paragraph was originally longer, but turned into an idea I should explore some more. This may see a follow-up post in future. UPDATE: The post is here.
My novels are still at the back of my mind. Between Anthem fan fiction and my currently-active novel, A Dirge for the Amphiptere, I have to find a balance to progress in both. I missed April’s Camp NaNoWriMo, but July is still coming up. Best use that to resume novelling.
Also, never underestimate the power of a deadline. I’m part of a writer’s workshop, and they give me enough kick in the pants (and encouragement and feedback) to keep moving forward. Many thanks, fellow writers.
I recently switched from Resilio Sync to Syncthing, and from Microsoft OneNote to Standard Notes. Continuing the march towards open-source and private, one program at a time. Standard Notes, in particular, was the ace-in-the-hole. It has everything I want. Something worth subscribing to!
Google remains the biggest obstacle in this march. I’m about 75% decoupled from it, with the remaining 25% being Google Play Store for my Android phone. Flashing a custom ROM is somewhat beyond me right now.
The best way to learn a skill is to have problems that require that skill to fix. I (finally) have stuff to put on my website, so I’m taking another stab at producing a website through Hugo.
Projects in order of importance: A repository for my Anthem fanfic, proper landing pages for Hierofalco.net. If those go well, porting my Tumblr to a static site on my domain (and finally, administer the death sentence to another social media account).
The hope is to create a “set-and-forget” website production pipeline. Sweat over the infrastructure now, so I can leave it running on its own in perpetuity, just pop in to feed it more content. For someone who has a love/hate relationship with webdesign and coding (building infrastructure is exponentially less fun than creating content for it), this is going to be torture. But I want to do things my way, Indieweb-style.
If I can get these projects and pipelines in place, I may even be able to leave WordPress (which I’m growing to abhor more and more) and close this blog, perhaps transform it. This blog has always been a miscellaneous catch-all. Too generalized. I’ve never been satisfied with it. Disseminating it into specific projects would be the ultimate goal. Then, perhaps, Hierofalco.net would start looking like what I’ve always envisioned it to be: a village of my thoughts.